So the Lip Kit by Kylie (as in Kylie Jenner) was released last year. It boasts of three shades of matte liquid lipstick, each with a matching liner. It sold out instantly. They restocked. It sold out again. Restocking is in progress. New shades are coming soon. There was hate. There was controversy (did she copy a ColorPop liquid lipstick?). There was love. There was a lot of hype. So is this kit worth the hype?
The Lip Kits come in 3 colors: Candy K (pictured above), Dolce K, and True Brown K. The kits include a liner and matte liquid lipstick for $29. I chose Candy K, because it looked the most wearable.
|pic via lipkitbykylie.com|
See also: Lip Tars and Lip Paints
- Since many high end liquid lipsticks start at $20-$25, I say this isn't a bad deal at all for a liner and liquid lipstick.
- Smells like candy, so it's not my preference, but it's not noticeable on the lips
- It feels very creamy and dries to a matte finish. It wasn't too drying.
- You can absolutely wear a gloss over this if you aren't into a matte look.
- It feels a little like a mix of ColorPop, Anastasia of Beverly Hills, and Kat Von D.
- The doe-foot applicator makes it easy to apply, so the liner isn't needed but it's definitely helpful
- Some liquid lipsticks can be worn with several coats. Just one coat of this or it will get crumbly.
- Staying Power:
- I can get several hours of wear from this.
- There was big talk of how this was a dupe for various shades from ColorPop. I couldn't find anything close. Just because something is made in the same factory or lab, doesn't make it the same product. The formulas are different.
- I admit I was I able to mix my own shade that looked like this, by using 3 liquid lipsticks I already owned.
- I liked this a lot, and it's worth the hype, but don't think it's a must-have.
- The little girls I nanny for are hilarious. The 22 month old saw a pic of a guy on my Instagram feed and thought it was me! And when I was telling the 6 year old that I leave for Disney World soon, she said, "Do we have to talk about Disney today?" Um, YES! Yes we do.
- Was feeling under the weather these past couple of days, but I'm much better today. Thanks for your well wishes on my Instagram.