"Lip tar "is the product name for the brand OCC. It's supposed to make you think of how tar is hard to remove.
"Lip paint" is a way to describe these products. They're like melted lipsticks in a tube that go on shiny that dry to matte or satin, and give long staying power. They're very, very pigmented.
1-Too Faced Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick--think shiny gloss with the pigmentation of a lipstick that's kind of like a lip stain.
- This doesn't fit the lip tar or paint definition, but I am including it because it looks similar. It features a fuzzy tip applicator (same material as a doe foot) and has very pigmented color. The shine fades, which doesn't bother me, but I've found the long wearing aspect depends on the shade. Also, some shades can be more drying that others.
- $21, 4 oz.
- 18 shades
- Ulta, Sephora
2-OCC Lip Tars--Considered a revolutionary product when released, these lip tars are long-lasting, very pigmented, and come in different finishes. You will need the tiniest amount--a tube will last forever.
- These take a little bit to get used to in application and finish, but they are worth it. I kinda got it everywhere the first couple of times! Occasionally, I have experienced dry lips (matte) and suggest the clear primer to help with application.
- It comes in the original matte, metallic, and stained gloss. It also comes with a brush--necessity since this is a tube and you only need a little.
- peppermint scent
- $18, .33 oz
- 43 shades, including blue, yellow, and black. Shades like those allow you to change the colors of other OOC products to create custom shades.
3-J. Cat Wonder Paint--This is a liquified, pigmented product with long wearing time.
- Similar to OCC in terms of application (little goes a long way). Wish it came with a brush for easier application. Can sometimes feather, but excellent for the price.
- $1.29 (2 shades at ULTA.com) $4.99 J.Cat site, .33oz
- 31 shades
- has parabens
- ULTA, J.Catbeauty.com
4-LA Girl Glazed Lip Paint--pigmented like a lipstick, but looks like a gloss
- I first purchased these because they look so similar to the Too Faced ones. Scroll back up--don't they look similar? But these are the closest thing to a dupe to the OCC I can find. I like these.
- $3.49, .4 oz
- 18 shades
- online, Kmart, I got mine at the store Five Below
5-MAC Lipmix--It's an opaque cream used to mix and customize lipstick. MAC Pro item.
- I'm sharing this here because it is similar in packaging to OCC and J. Cat, but this is a completely different product. Whereas the others are liquid-y (runny), this one is like a mousse-like texture. I use using these--I think of them as lip pigments--for a variety of purposes. While I love these, I don't think a beginner or casual beauty lover will find them a necessity.
- $15, 10ml
- 13 shades, including black, yellow, blue that are used to change colors
Overall, if pigmented long-lasting lip products are what you're into, I suggest giving these a shot. There's something for every budget.
Extra Elle: Just finished the audiobook Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe. I didn't really know much about him, bought it on a whim, and ended up loving it. What a life this guy has had so far!! I love hearing a celeb read their autobiographies, for some reason!