- Spray a clean face with an oil-free makeup setting spray. I like Urban Decay De Slick, Skindanvia, or if it's for a wedding, I use Model in a Bottle. L'Oreal has a drugstore version I love. Allow a few seconds to dry.
- Apply a mattifying primer, like the one pictured from LORAC and allow 5 minutes to set. My fave is from Makeup Forever. I don't really care for primers that have too much of a silicone-feel to them (like Smashbox) for this. A couple of drugstore hacks for cheap primers are Milk of Magnesia (shared here 4 years ago!!) or Nivea After Shave Balm.
- Next is foundation. I used Rimmel 25 Hour foundation for liquid and light-med coverage, but I also love L'Oreal Infalliable for a bit more coverage. For super oily skin, try Estee Lauder Double Wear.
- For concealer, try IT COSMETICS Bye Bye Under Eye. It's waterproof.
|excerpt from the video mentioned below|
Next, it's time to cook or bake your makeup. This technique has been around for decades (think Old Hollywood) and has been used by drag queens for years. And now it's being heavily mentioned online, and that's because it works.
- Take a loose powder and heavily coat under the eyes, the chin, the forehead (as pictured above). Allow it to set or "cook" while you continue with your makeup. I usually start my eye makeup while my makeup is baking. The longer you can leave it, the better.
- Once set, wipe away the loose powder. You can also follow up with a setting powder, like DermaBlend. Rimmel makes a great setting powder as well.
- Apply bronzer, like this waterproof one from Tarte. It came in this month's Ipsy bag. I usually skip blush for occasions like this since it's so hot and my skin naturally blushes, but Tarte is recommended again for their Amazonian Clay blushes.
- Spray face again with setting spray. This helps to set and remove that powdered look.
Eyes and Lips:
- While makeup is cooking, focus on the eyes. Rimmel makes great shadow sticks that are waterproof and last for hours. Take the champagne shade and apply to the lid. Use the bronze shade in the outer corner and blend using a brush. In the video, I did go over them with matching powder shadow.
- For liner, try the waterproof one by Stila.
- Curl lashes and use Tarte's Light, Camera, Splashes. Waterproof mascaras are not my fave, but I love this product. I also love Maybelline Rocket and Hard Candy has one that truly lasts for days.
- For brows, fill them in with NYX Brow Gel--this is waterproof and affordable.
- Now lips are completely up to you, but to make mine last I used Rimmel Provocalips. I mention several on this post for wedding day kiss-proof makeup.
Here is everything mentioned above in action!
I have tested this makeup in a variety of temperatures and situations.
Here's the makeup shown after swimming, after being in rain, about 14 hours of wear,
the beach, 106 heat index, and after playing outside with the kids at work for 30 min.
- Getting my hair done today. Hallelujah!
- My order from the Nordstrom sale came in yesterday! I didn't go crazy--just earrings and a clutch. Ha!
- To thank you for spending a bit of your day with me, I've got a few giveaways for you: