What is an illuminating primer? How do you apply it?
- Add a glow or radiance to the skin and come in different colors like highlighters do
- Can be worn alone or under foundation, but they are usually worn before foundation--
- You can wear these all over the face, like a regular primer, or target certain areas of the face
- Key words: radiance, glow, luminous, illumination + primer
I got the idea for this post from Shireen, who wanted to know more about illuminating primers. Are they worth the hype? Are these an essential to a makeup routine?
- Sometimes highlighters can be super intense, like a light beam heading into outer space, but think of illuminating primers as a much more wearable version, almost like a natural glow. My friends who have oily skin and shy away from highlighters, love some illuminating primers
- Think glow, not sparkle. Shimmer.
- Not an essential, but a nice addition
What illuminating primers would you recommend?
- Straight up, I came up with over 40 right off the bat, so this is HARD to narrow down.
Expensive ($40+) but amazing:
Givenchy Mister Smooth, Shiseido Glow Enhancing Primer, YSL Glow Moisture (very, very subtle), Dior Glow Maximizer, Hourglass Ambient Light Correcting Primer (gorgeous, comes in 3 shades), Lancome makes a great one as well
Clarins, Cover Fx Illuminating Primer, Estee Lauder Illuminating Perfecting Primer, Benefit That Gal, Chanel Illuminating Base, Illamasqua (you have to dip into this one with provided spatula)
Drugstore (up to $20)
No. 7 Airbrush Away Radiance Boosting Primer (this one is brand new and good), Sephora, L'Oreal Lumi Magic Base, NYX Born to Glow, Soap and Glory Hocus Focus, Not pictured: Juice Beauty has a really good one with good ingredients
My Favorites ($25+)
Armani Light Master Primer, Becca Backlight Filter, Kevyn Aucoin Celestial Lighting, MAC Strobe Cream (look for the travel size version that's $10), Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Radiance
Any you'd skip?
- Yes, anything with glitter flecks in it in a gel base. Those act more like a moisturizer than an illuminating primer.
NOTE: I have no pictures up today of these on my skin. Since the glow is subtle on these, they don't photograph well, and I don't want to pile them to get them to show since that's not realistic. See my DUPE OR NOT? post here for a MAC Strobe Cream Vs NYX.
Do you use illuminating primers?
Extra Elle--No big plans for me this weekend, but lots to be done around the blog and the house. Again, thinking of those in the path of the hurricane.