I used to be intimidated by lipstick. My Grandmother had her own makeup line in the 80s, and I remember seeing the bright pinks and frosts. Lipstick seemed for grownups, not for me. I was an ever-devoted gloss girl when I decided to give lipstick a real chance. I still have more glosses, but no one ever compliments my gloss. It's always when I wear lipstick.
Lipsticks now are so different from when we were kids: the formulas, the shades, and now they're for everyone. They aren't just for your mom, your grandma, or whatever excuse I get told when I do a post like this. They're for you, and you should consider giving them a try if you haven't.
Since it's fall, I wanted to give you 5 options for darker lipsticks, all under $5 (the cheapest I found was Walmart). All of these have been worn by me for a year or more. Makeup truly doesn't have to cost a fortune, y'all.
This was so hard to narrow down! I tried to go for a variety of finishes and colors, to suit as many skin tones as possible. I am wearing these full strength, so to speak, in the swatches below.
TIP: if these colors are too intimidating for you, try rubbing a little lipstick onto your finger and then patting that onto your lips. It will be a slight wash of color.
One: Maybelline Touch of Spice
- creamy matte
- This is a wearable pinky nude, and this amazing formula comes in 20 shades. Yesterday I shared the shade Divine Wine. I have 3 of these and I want them all.
- Also Try: Lust for Blush
Two: Kate Moss for Rimmel Lasting Finish Matte 107
- matte, but not drying
- A beautiful berry that looks good on everyone. Comes in 5 shades.
- Also Try: 110
Three: Wet N Wild Ravin Raisin 916D
- VERY matte
- A long-wearing very dry matte that I love on darker skin tones.
- Try Also: Cabernet Crest, a dupe for MAC Rebel
Four: Revlon Black Cherry
- I have mentioned this lipstick for the past 3 years on here because it's a classic. It looks crazy dark in the tube, but can be intensified or worn with a gloss to lighten it. Revlon has over 82 lipsticks in this line in 4 finishes.
- Try Also: Milani Black Cherry
Five: Milani Color Statement Lipstick in Sangria
- This deep, purple berry is one of the nearly 40 shades offered by Milani. In fact, I mentioned one of my faves by them here.
- Try Also: Uptown Mauve
|Swatches of all mentioned lipsticks|
What is your favorite fall lipstick?
- Despite having an extra day off, my weekend flew by! Even though the weather was rainy, I forced myself to get off the computer and out of the house. I watched football with friends, went shopping (a little pre-birthday celebration), and got a lot done.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my cousin AMY! Love you!
- My Story Behind the Pic Linkup will be Oct 22, if you'd like to join up!