But speaking of makeup, I'm on a pretty tight budget, so how do I save money when it comes to beauty products? Let's see:
- Dupes--There is almost always a dupe or knockoff of a more expensive beauty product. Try the drugstore generic of a favorite beauty or hair product. Usually they're made in the same factory! Not in the mood to treasure hunt and try? Search for ____dupe (ex. Mac lipstick dupe) and you'll easily find a comparable product for a fraction of the price.
- Drugstore--Most of the products I use are drugstore! The quality of what you'll find is so much better than it used to be. Try Wet N Wild shadows, Revlon lipsticks, and Covergirl mascara, just to name a few.
- DIY--When I saw a brown sugar scrub for $65 (seriously) I knew I could easily make my own. And I do for many DIY hair, skin, and body products. Check those out here.
- Returns--Is there anything worse than spending your money on a new lipstick only to hate it once you bring it home? Luckily, many stores allow returns, even with opened & used products! Try Sephora, Ulta, drugstores, Wal-Mart and Target. Keep the receipt!
- Monthly Subscriptions--One way to sample new beauty products is to try a monthly subscription service, such as Birchbox or MyGlam. Some are even free--try influenster.com
- Beauty Swap--If you have a lot of good friends who use beauty products, try a beauty swap. What doesn't work for you might be perfect for someone else! Makeup can be easily disinfected (click here for a post on how to disinfect makeup).
- Sell, Donate, or Repurpose--See link above for more details!
- Multipurpose Products--I love it when I can use a product for more than one thing. Conditioner easily becomes shaving lotion, baby wipes make great makeup removers, and lipstick can be blush!
- Choose Wisely--I love drugstore products, but I do spend money on my haircut and color. But drugstore mascaras are always better than high-end brands. If you have finicky skin, a name-brand foundation is a wise investment. Many drugstore shampoos work just as well as the fancy ones.
Where do you spend and splurge when it comes to beauty?
Are you all high end? Drugstore diva? Or high-low?