I admit, I was late to the Hunger Games' excitement. Once the movie came out, I decided to pick up a copy of the book (the same day I got my magazine!!). I have this insistence that I cannot see a movie based on a book unless I've read it first. Needless to say, I devoured The Hunger Games in a couple of hours and this week I saw the movie with my Lil Sis. And as soon as we got home, I recreated the braid worn by Katniss. Here's how:
- Start at the left side of your hair, taking three strands of hair, just like in a regular braid.
- But this is a Dutch braid, which has one tiny difference--just switch the position of the middle piece of hair. Take the left piece and cross it under the middle. Do the same with the right piece. Just cross under instead of over, like in a traditional braid.
- Now, grab a piece of hair and add to the left piece, just like you would in a French braid. Cross under the middle. Add a piece of hair to the right piece and cross under the middle.
- I preferred to braid mine a little bit looser, to look closer to the braid Katniss sported.
- Continue working diagonally until you reach the bottom right-hand side of your head. Grab the remaining hair and braid normally. Secure with an elastic. If desired, pull some tendrils on either side of the face.
- That's it! Grab your bow & arrows and you're all set.
- Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor!
PS: As part of my Reader Request Week, I'm doing a post where you can ask me anything--leave a comment below with a question or a post you'd like to see.