Have a beauty question you'd like answered? Leave a comment, email, or Tweet me. Here's this week's question:
Jax, "I wash/blowdry/straighten my hair daily. As a result it's dried out, thin, and disgusting. Would it be less damaging to just go out and get a chemical straightening?"
Here's my -long- answer:
- Don't shampoo every day, if possible. The more you wash, the more your hair will be dry. I can only wash mine 1-2 times a week, on average.
- Get a sulfate-free shampoo, like L'Oreal Eversleek Intense Smoothing Shampoo. It's around $6 and is great. Sulfates are akin to detergents, which strip hair.
- I know Jax likes to use several different shampoos, but this is affecting the hair in a negative way. Try just 2 shampoos, sulfate-free, preferably.
- Condition hair from ears down. Use a conditioning mask weekly.
- Don't rub your hair with your towel to get the water out. I squeeze the water out. Don't brush it while wet either.
- Try to air dry as long as possible, until your hair is about 70% dry. Use the nozzle to direct air flow--this will help with frizz and cause hair to dry faster=less damage.
- I love It's a 10 Miracle Leave In. It makes my frizz, dry, coarse hair soft. Any of their products are good.
- Use a heat protectant every time heat is near your hair. Avoid products with alcohol in them--these dry out hair!
- If you'd like the drugstore straightening route, there are options, however, I've not tried any of these and cannot vouch for them, so use with caution: John Freida 3-Day Straight Styling Spray, Garnier Sleek & Shine Hair Perfector, and Suave Keratin Infusion. I don't like the idea of the formaldehyde in the expensive Brazilian Blowout, but they do work.
- To get thicker hair, I recommended these supplements last week.
- Finally, consult your Dr. if none of the methods work. It could be stress, hypothyroidism, etc.
I can't wait to hear your results. And go ahead and visit her blog. She's funny and I adore her!
Leave a comment below with your own suggestions or beauty questions you'd like answered!