I don't know about your neck of the woods, but the weather has been whacky around mine. It happens this time of year, when winter is holding on and spring is dancing just out of reach, that the colds come out in full-force.
But don't worry...
I've got secret weapons to kick a cold!
P R E V E N T I O N
- Know your body, know the pattern. I would always be in denial at the beginning of a cold, insisting it was allergies. Every time. Now I know if I start sneezing and get a bad headache, a cold will follow. Figure out your early cold symptoms.
- Sneeze into your sleeve. In school I remember being told to sneeze into my hands. Bad advice, as most kids aren't avid hand washers. Keep your hands out of orifices. I am always digging in my eyes, and that's contributed to colds.
- Wash your hands and sing the alphabet or Happy Birthday. Get plenty of rest. Common sense, but I had to include.
D E F E N S E
- The second I am around those with a cold or the second I feel a cold coming on, I take zinc (never on an empty stomach, trust). I take it for a few days or until my cold symptoms disappear.
- Taking zinc can cut your colds by half. This works! I used to get colds for 4-8 WEEKS. Now, my colds disappear or last a week. Please check w. Dr. before taking, and never take if pregnant/nursing. I'm not a Dr. & don't play one on the internet!
C A R E
- Take a detox bath. You'll sweat out the toxins and feel better in no time. I've done these for years whenever I've felt achy. Again, please seek medical advice before trying this.
- Pour two big bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide into a bath.
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salt.
- Soak 15-20 minutes.
- Optional: add eucalyptus oil to open sinuses or ginger to aid in detoxing.
- Drink water while you're in the bath, since you'll be sweating.
- Do for 7 days if needed.
Tomorrow I'll be back for Part 2 with more cold care tricks. Share yours below!