What are lash primers?
- Lash primers, or mascara primers, are products that are applied before a mascara.
- Mascara is then applied after.
- Sometimes they are tinted black or other colors, sometimes they have fibers in them, and some are white.
- The functions vary, but generally, they enhance mascara, making lashes look bigger/thicker/longer. Some boast lash conditioning ability. Some boast the ability to prevent smudging or running.
These are the 6 that I reviewed. I chose to go with all-white, since there aren't as many tinted brands out there and fibers irritate my eyes. All primers were tested for a minimum of 1 month, using at least 3 different brands of mascaras. I also tested them with a mascara that corresponded to that brand to see if it made a difference (it didn't).
For picture taking purposes, I will be wearing Tarte Tarteist Lash Paint Mascara, since it is a wetter mascara and show up well, on the pic on your left. The primer and Tarteist Mascara will be on the right pic. Pics were taken on different days to ensure there was no product buildup from previous primers/mascaras. I'm not wearing any makeup, minus the mascaras. You can purchase these primers online.
L'Oreal Voluminous Primer
- The newest primer I tried, which was released about a month ago.
- Drugstores/box stores/ULTA
- thinner formula
- says it will condition lashes
- strong scent
- did make lashes thicker, lashes did feel softer, but it was a little clumpy
Tarte Opening Act
- Sometimes comes with a mini Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara
- drier formula
- slightly strong scent
- did clump in certain spots
Lancome Cils Booster XL
- Sephora/ulta/dept stores
- does come in travel size
- wet formula
- barely scented
- says it has micro-fibers, but I couldn't detect them, nor did they affect my eyes
- really liked this one
Clinique Lash Building Primer
- Sephora/Ulta/Dept Stores
- wettest of the formulas I've tried
- boasts of lash conditioning
- barely a scent
- really liked this one
Urban Decay Subversion: Thicker Longer Stronger
- nicely pigmented
- smelled the best, as in least-scented
- hour-glass wand--most of them had typical triangle-shape wand
- prone to clump, but had nice results
Wet N Wild PhotoFocus Lash Primer (packaging shows French and English)
- drugstores/box stores
- medium consistency
- very strong scent
- prone to clumping, and sometimes flaking, depending on brand
- good for if you have a mascara that's too intense or wet, this will make it look more natural and lashes look more defined
Here are the primers applied on top and bottom lashes, before mascara. It's interesting how well they showed up in pictures, since many times I could barely see some of the brands on my lashes.
And here's a closeup of each brand that I tested. All of them had traditional bristle wands.
Do primers work?
- As you can tell from the pictures, I would say so
Was the mascara hard to take off?
- Not as difficult as with a waterproof mascara, but it really depended on the mascara I tested it with. Generally, I could use a wipe to remove them if I had to
Did the mascara last longer after using the primer?
- It definitely did and really helped with smudging (minus the WNW one)
What about (insert brand here)? Are you going to try that?
- I skipped any primer with fibers (I didn't know the Lancome one had fibers as I couldn't see them) because I have sensitive eyes.
- I have tried the NYX one and didn't like it at all--it wouldn't show up or stick on my lashes, but it is another drugstore option for you. There is also one from Smashbox that I haven't tried yet. I cannot remember what the one from Dior was like. Have you tried those?
Are lash primers necessary?
- If you would like to enhance your lashes (as in, you have shorter or thinner lashes), this would definitely help. If you have a mascara that's maybe drying out and you want to enhance that, this could help. If mascara runs on you, this might could help with that. However, I don't think it is a necessity, but I really like using primers when I don't mind that extra step.
Have you tried lash primers before?
- Thank you SO much for the love on my diy tray! I loved seeing your feedback and your own creations.
- I got a new mattress! I wanted the really expensive sink-into-a-cloud one, but the budget said no. But I like what I got. Now let's talk about the primers! :)