Last month I started a new series, where I try whatever crazy trend is out there. I kicked things off with the Non-Touring trend. This month, it's all about poo, pre-poo that is.
What is pre-pooing?
What does it do/why should I try it?
- You treat the hair before you shampoo.
- Pre-pooing keeps your hair protected from ingredients in shampoo that could strip it from moisture. Curly hair (I know you're familiar with the no-poo movement) will love this.
How do you pre-poo?
- Apply conditioner to hair and let it set for around 20-30 minutes before rinsing away with water and then shampooing.
- You can also apply shampoo on top of the conditioner (after the conditioner has set for 20-30 min) and then rinse out.
- A leave-in or a bit of conditioner is still needed, especially for dry hair.
Do you need special products for it?
- No, but I've seen pre-shampoo treatments from Living Proof, Madam CJ Walker, and Tressame (pictured below) on store shelves.
- You need a conditioner and a shampoo.
|Find this at drugstores and box stores (Target, Walmart)|
Does pre-pooing work?
- I tried this for a month, using all sorts of conditioners and shampoos. My hair type is frizzy, coarse, dry, wavy, and fine--yes, all of those on different areas of my head, and none of them are curly.
- My hair was very moisturized, depending on products used, and my waves were more defined. My frizz was not as frizzy. I still needed styling products after. I noticed sometimes my hair got a little oilier quicker than usual.
- Overall, my hair felt like my hair usually does. Maybe a little softer--not a bad thing, especially helpful when I was in Cancun last month. Maybe a little more volume, but not a huge change.
- My first thought was, this is what I do when I'm at the beach anyway! I wet my hair and leave conditioner in it all day. My second thought was, 20-30 min? Every time I wash? Ugh. My third thought: isn't this like reverse washing?
- I know I'll get comments to just use sulfate-free shampoo. Depending on the brand, those either dry out my hair or make no difference on my hair.
- After a month of trying, I am not going to keep pre-pooing. Waiting 20-30 minutes and then shampooing? Ain't nobody got time for that!! I'll do a mask or a hot oil or hair treatment instead. Glad I tried it, but it's not for me.
Would you try pre-pooing?
What beauty trend should I try next?
-Finally had to admit after a year that I lost a Netflix movie.
-Did you see this Instagram pic? I shared some pretty new things.