I'm a beauty mask junkie. I love making them, something that started when I was little. I remember making a sunburn mask with aloe vera and whatever else I could find. I would put it on my sleeping sister's shoulders, since she was prone to sunburn.
And I'm always learning about new ingredients and concoctions, like when I had a bad injury while visiting Costa Rica years ago. I wasn't taken to a hospital, but instead the local women covered me diy treatments that I still use today. You can find my DIYs here.
But I also love buying them too--to see what's the latest "it" ingredient or treatment, and to separate the good stuff from the gimmicks. I've reviewed masks plenty of times on here before, but these I've tested over the past year are different. They have odd, unusual, or fun ingredients to them. After all, this should be a treat! I tried to find expensive and affordable options for as many as I could! I hope you find one you'd like to try:
Snail Mask--Snail extracts provide skin rejuvenation.
- Miss Spa Bee Venom Mask $7.99
Did you miss this? Face Masques 101
Lip Masks--A fancy phrase for either a scrub or moisturizing treatment.
- GlamGlow PoutMud--$24 (but I diy my own version that is a pretty much a dupe. The Lip balm that comes with it is one of my FAVES).
- Nug Lip Mask--$7.99 (This dried on my lips instead of moisturizing them and then I had to rip it off my lips. It was torture, but a friend of mine had the opposite experience).
Lip Peel Off Mask--I first tried this last fall, but have been seeing them pop up on blogs recently. They come in peel off form for eyebrows too. You essentially apply it like a lip gloss and then peel it off for color, as seen below:
Scary picture alert! This is me first thing in the morning with no makeup, so be kind! :) Behind the scenes blogging, right here!1--It is impossible to apply neatly.
2--After I let it dry, I peeled it off.
3--Here's the after. It stays for hours!
Check this out: I tried 10 Sleeping Masks So You Don't Have To
- Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle $68
- Passport to Beauty Gold Radiance $65 for 2 (I got this in a FabFitFun box in Fall 2015)
- Miss Spa 24k Gold Creme Mask $6.99
Bubble Mask--These turn from cream to bubbles on the face.
- ELF Hydrating Bubble Mask (originally reviewed here) $14
- Dr. Brandt Hydrating $70 (more on this tomorrow)
GlamGlow Gravity Mud Mask--This silver peel off mask leaves skin tighter. It has a strong scent, not bad, just too strong for me, and was fun to peel off, as pictured below. $69
Modeling Mask--One of the MOST unusual masks concoctions I've ever tried. It's a powder that you mix into something like pancake batter. Apply to face and it dries into a plaster-like shell. Bizarre! They have many different types, depending on needs. I tried two.Vitamin C Modeling Mask $20 (great for brightening/moisturizing)
Collagen Modeling Mask $20 (anti-aging/firming)
Which of these would you try?
- Super fast weekend, mainly since I spent so much of Saturday out and about before the cooler temps hit yesterday. So much for that first day of spring! I actually don't mind it, but wish that pollen would go away.
- See also: Sheet Mask Reviews--Everything you need to know