pictured: Alerna Bamboo UV+ Color Protection Fade-Proof Fluide, coconut oil,
Aussie 3 Min Miracle, EVOO, Heat Protectant,
My beloved discontinued Sunsilk,hat from F21, peach scarf
We all know to coat our skin in SPF products--not just in the summer, but all year and all types of weather. Done! Check!
But what about your hair?
The UVA and UVB rays damage hair, making hair weak, brittle, and prone to breakage. The sun also causes color fading.
Luckily, this problem can be easily fixed! Here's how:
- Look for products that have UVA/B protectants in them! Shampoos, sprays, and the like. Ouidad makes a great one.
- If you part your hair whilst at the beach/pool/lake, apply sunscreen along your part. If you've ever sunburnt your part, you know what I'm talking about! I've used non-menthol chapstick with SPF in a pinch.
- Coconut Oil--Not only will your hair feel moisturized (a little goes a long way however), you're protecting it as well!
- Deep Conditioner--Use this on wet or dry hair. Of course I'm going to recommend Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, but even regular or leave-in conditioner will work. When I'm at the beach, I'll coat my wet hair in this and keep my hair down. By the end of the day, I have gorgeous, natural, beachy waves. And I'm constantly asked what's in my hair to make it smell so good. It's the 3 Minute Miracle!
- Extra Virgin Olive/Jojoba Oil--Again, use on wet or dry hair. If putting oil on your hair isn't your thing, at least coat the ends. Shampoo & condition out, of course.
- Anything That Coats, Helps--While I wear my hair down, keep hair in a pony or bun to help limit sun exposure. I also use heat protectant before going into the sun.
- Keep It Covered--Not only does the hat keep your face sun-free, but it helps your hair, too. No hat? Use a scarf!
- I anticipate comments about why Moroccan/Argan Oil is not mentioned. While many consider it to be a must-have, it can actually dry out hair for some. That "some" would include me! My hair hates it. I wanted to share products that I know would work for everyone.
B O N U S! Check out a few Summer Links from past posts you might've missed:
- DIY Coconut Banana Smoothie Masque for Hair
- DIY Sea Salt Spray (you've seen the imitators, now read the original recipe!)
- DIY Beach in a Bag
- Summer Cocktails
- Use Acne Pads to Exfoliate Feet (one of my favorite tips ever)
- Get Rid of Sunburn (another favorite tip)
- Two Cute Summer Outfits in One
- DIY Mocha Coconut Frappucino (pic below)
Have a great weekend!
Be safe, behave, and be well.