F R E E / AT HOME:
- Cold water...do your final rinse in cold water to seal hair cuticles.
- Cider vinegar...take a half a handful of vinegar and use it to rinse your hair. Don't rinse out. Use more vinegar if your have more hair. The smell will dissipate. I've found that for my hair, which grabs scent, it doesn't lose the smell until the next day. But for most, the smell will disappear.
- Clarifying Shampoo + Listerine...I use Prell in extreme cases.
- Egg & Water...whisk 1-2 eggs (depending on length/thickness) and mix in a little water (1-2 tbsp). Apply to hair (I've poured, "painted," and scooped) and leave on 30 min. Rinse out. I prefer to shampoo/condition after! To avoid drips, twist hair up, wrap in a towel, plastic wrap
- Beer...take a can of beer and a little warm water in a spray bottle. Spray on dry hair and let set 30 min. Rinse out. Again it worked, but I was convinced it smelled.
- Tea...steep a black tea bag and pour or spray cool tea on hair. Leave on 5 minutes and rinse out.
- Rosemary Mist...Take 1 tbsp of rosemary (fresh smells, well, fresher, but dry is fine), spray bottle, 1 cup of water
- Boil the water and add the rosemary. Allow to boil for a couple of minutes and then steep for around 5.
- Once the water has cooled, carefully pour into the bottle. Don't worry if some of the rosemary doesn't get in the bottle--that's why you boiled it. Give it a good shake before spritzing on dry hair.
- Feel free to use 2 tbsp rosemary/2 c water or more. I used 1/1 because I have a small spray bottle, but feel free to make a larger batch. This keeps for about a month, but is best within a couple of weeks.
N A M E B R A N D ($10+):
- John Freida Hair Glaze, $10
- Aquage Shine Spray (aerosol), $18
- Carol's Daughter Finising Shine Mist, $18
- BB Shine On and On, $26
- Argan/Moroccan Oil, $20-50
- Sachajuan Shine Serum, $30
- Ouidad Shine Glaze, $20
- Biolage Shine Milk, $20
D R U G S T O R E ($3-8):
- Got 2 B Dry Oil (aerosol), $6
- Clairol Shine Happy, $8
- Diamond Shine Drops, $5
- Smooth & Shine Spray, $3
- Garnier Shine Serum, $5
- L'Oreal Shine Serum, $5
- Not Your Mother's Shine Mist $6
- Garnier Shine Spray, $6
How do you get your hair shiny?
T I P S :
- The thicker the hair, the thicker the product will be needed to make it shiny.:
- Thin-Fine: All Free/At Home products, aerosol sprays, drops, glazes, some mists (do a test run on a section), oil (tiny amount)...avoid products that are too greasy/weigh hair down
- Medium-Thick: Free, drops, glaze, serums, mists, oils (for whatever reason Moroccan oil makes my hair drier and does not work), aerosols (check for alcohol, as this can dry out dry/damaged hair)