- granulated sugar
- food coloring
- freezer bags (Ziploc)
- icing (purchased or made)
- cupcakes (purchased or made)
- chopstick or mixing tool, optional
- Pour sugar into freezer bag (as much as you think you'll need to decorate cupcakes).
- Add drops of food coloring to bag of sugar and scrunch bag to mix color. Use a different bag for each color.
- Once mixed, open bag and allow sugar to dry overnight.
- Sprinkle your sprinkles on your cupcake to decorate, or roll the cupcake in the sprinkles.
- Want even more decoration?Take vanilla icing and scoop into a Ziploc bag. Add food coloring and mix with a chopstick. Or seal up bag and scrunch bag around to mix color with icing.
- Snip off the bottom corner of bag and use to decorate cupcake. I *tried* to get mine in a rose pattern for Valentine's Day. See pic below.
- Colored sugar goes beyond Valentine's Day, and beyond cupcakes.Try sprinkles on cookies, cakes, or other treats.
- I was originally going to post this for my Superbowl party, as I made colored sugar sprinkles for the team colors (red and blue this year). This idea could easily transcend to holidays or almost any party.
- I've always used my colored sugar within a few days of making. However, it could keep for at least a week if properly sealed.
- Add a couple of drops of peppermint or other flavoring to change the taste of your vanilla icing. Peppermint, for example, would be a great idea for Christmas cupcakes.
PS: Check out my Valentine Drinks here.