I've always been an advice giver. Are you that way? And I have given advice over just about everything you can imagine. If I haven't experienced it, I know someone who has. Need advice on anything? Email me. Check out past Ask Elle advice posts here.
Lovely Emily emailed me about her daughter's first Homecoming Dance and needed ideas for hair and makeup. I'm so delighted, and taking what she asked for in her email, here's what I came up with. Note: this look is easy and is applicable for a variety of events, regardless if you're attending a dance.
Enjoy AFTER THE JUMP!
Note: don't do a tutorial at 6am.
- Easy, black smokey eye
- Has to last through hours of dancing
- Only drugstore products
- FYI: I didn't include foundation, concealer, or powder since that's a personal preference, but I can list mine if wanted.
- No one wants runny eye makeup from dancing, so I recommend waterproof mascara (pictured They're Real and L'Oreal Double Extend). Feel free to use whatever brand you have/prefer.
- Wet N Wild eyeshadow in Don't Steal My Thunder $3
- NYX eyeliner in black $1
- NYX eyeshadow base, to keep eyeshadow from creasing/fading $4
- ELF "C" brush $3
- Sonia Kashuk crease/fluffy brush $9, but ELF has one for $1, which I own as well!
- L'Oreal True Red lipstick $5
- Rub eyeshadow base on eyelid.
- Using the "C" brush, pat on the silver eyelid shade.
- Using fluffy brush, tap crease shade into outer corner.
- With the lightest touch, gently drag the brush from the outer corner to the crease and blend back and forth. Remember to do this lightly.
- Using the browbone shade, sweep a little shadow right under the eyebrow and into the corners of eyes.
- Apply eyeliner and mascara. Use an eyelash curler for 10 seconds on each eye for extra volume.
- Don't forget the red lipstick!
- Big curls
- 2 different-sized curling irons; this depends on length of hair and desired size of curl.
- Heat protectant
- Hair spray
- Day-old hair works best.
- Spray heat protectant and let dry.
- Using the larger curling iron, curl sections of hair from end to root and hold 10 seconds. Repeat all over head. Do not touch curls while they are hot.
- Take the smaller curling iron and curl shorter layers. If no layers, choose random pieces.
- Spray and back comb/tease at crown.
btw, I'm wearing this dress.