I have the a/c on.
I might be wearing a scarf as a sort of incantation to encourage fall.
And it's the first day of October!
I am a huge fan of pumpkin things, which I think is due to my birthday being later this month.
But y'all, I like the scent of pumpkin spice more than actually consuming it.
So today's DIY is a happy compromise: Pumpkin Spice Macaron Bath Bombs!
- macaron mold (look online)
- 3/4 c baking soda
- 1 c cornstarch
- 1/2 c citric acid (try online or the canning aisle)
- food coloring or soap colorant
- pinch of pumpkin pie spice OR 5 drops body-safe pumpkin spice oil mixed with a little melted coconut oil
- 1/2 c water
- mixing supplies
See also Starbucks-Inspired Sugar Scrubs
- Mix the dry ingredients and add the color. Keep mixing. This goes faster in a mixer, but you can do it by hand. I ran out of colorant, so mine aren't as orange as I usually make them.
- Slowly add a bit of water at a time, like a teaspoon, and keep mixing. If you dump it all in, the mixture will begin fizzing and you'll have to start over. It will foam up and multiply.
- Mix until it looks like wet orange sand.
- Place into mold. I like to have some of the mixture spill over to make it look more macaron-like. Save the unused mix and keep it covered.
- Allow to dry. This takes 30 min-1 hour for this tiny size.
- Pop out of mold and apply a little of the left over mixture on top of one macaron and add the other on top to seal it. Mine hadn't yet dried when I took this picture. Sometimes I will make a tiny meringue and add that instead.
Since these are small, pop a few into the bath and watch them fizz (I like these in a foot bath too). Enjoy the yummy smell of pumpkin spice. You can even pretend it's fall, and wear a scarf if you'd like and sip coffee. I won't tell. ;)
- These can last up to a year in a sealed container.
- If you or your gift recipient are allergic/sensitive to pumpkin pie spice, go with a body-safe oil instead.
- Feel free to double the recipe.
- Not a fan of pumpkin? Try these Macaron Bath Bombs.
Want more pumpkin goodies?
- I unexpectedly have tomorrow off, so I'll be back Monday with a date night tutorial! Happy weekend!