Oh hey! I am Ash! I write The Grits Blog. It's about all things crack, diets gone wrong, and hair teasin' tutorials. I am sharing ten of the most common beauty myths. I hope I see you over at my neck o' the woods - just click right here and I will see ya there!
(1) You have to wash your hair daily
When I hear people say this I just want to be like NOOOOOOO!!!!! Stop stripping your hair peeps! When you continually strip of your of its natural oils every day, it causes your glands to overproduce and thus you create greasy hair. In between washes I like to use Batiste dry shampoo (it's the best, I have tried almost all of them). Typically, I spray it all over my head and then section and re-blow out my (dry) hair using a ceramic round brush.
For proof that this works - click here. I hadn't washed my hair in three days when I took the pictures for this post.
(2) Product is EVERYTHING when it comes to getting that perfect hair texture.
SO NOT TRUE! If you want to build texture in your hair all you need is a teasing comb, THEN you set with hair spray so that it holds. If you don't know how to tease your hair, check out my tutorial that can be found here.
BUT if you do want to use product to build texture then I suggest a root powder.
(3) You have to use bleach to get your hair that perfect shade of blonde.
NOOPE! See how blonde my hair is here:
I - well my stylist - got my hair this blonde by using a brand of color called Scruples. This product works by lifting and then depositing color. Here is the gist of it that I got from my hair stylist:
- Because permanent color is deposited - instead of stripping color - the tone and color last longer.
- Scruples doesn't damage hair like bleach does because it's doesn't use anything higher than a 20 vol developer - the minimum for bleach is 20.
(4) The only way to straighten your hair is with a flat iron.
You can get the same effect using a ceramic round brush when you blow your hair out in layers. I use this one and love it!
(5) Lipstick feathering is what it is and there is nothing you can do about it.
A primer - specifically this primer - will solve all of your problems. I have been using it for months and don't know how I survived without it!
(6) You have to buy an expensive foundation to get that perfect base.
Nope! Not true! The key to a good base is your primer. For a moisturizing primer I like to use Laura Mercier Oil-Free primer and for an all day (or all night) primer I highly suggest Benefits 15-Hour primer.
Ten products. I use ten products and that's it.
I use a primer - one of the ones listed above, I use a foundation - one of the ones listed above, concealer, a powder to set, blush, highlighter, mascara, brow filler, lip primer, and lip stick.
This is what I wear most days:
Sometimes if I am feeling frisky I will add eyeshadow and eyeliner - but most days I am in a hurry and just wear the basics.
(8) The only way to get a good pigment from an eye shadow is to buy the expensive shadows.
Not true!! You can get all the pigment you want if you use a good primer. My favorite primer is by Urban Decay. My favorite inexpensive eye shadow palette is by NYX and Covergirl is a close second. Almay is good ALL the time - so when in doubt just go for them.
if you are feeling splurgy I can't suggest enough the Urban Decay Naked Palette. I got one for Christmas and don't know how I survived all these years without it!
This actually dries out your mascara - don't do it! Plus, if you are at that point in your mascara tube, that means it's time to go shopping!
(10) Buying that $50 hair product will miraculously heal your split ends.
There is no cure for split ends other than a hair cut. Sorry, but it's true. So don't waste your hard earned cash!
What are some beauty myths you have heard of? Did you know of any of these listed before reading this post?