At-home gel kits have been immensely popular the past couple of years, but these latest incarnations no longer require a lamp. But are they worth the hype (and money)? Let's find out in this week's This or That:
L'Oreal Extraordinaire Gel-Laque 1-2-3
- 3 step system--base, shade of your choosing, and then top coat
- 21 shades
- via site: 14 day color "provides rich, ultra glossy color and resilient shine while protecting nail color from dings, dents and scratches"
- $7.99 for polish, $12.99 for kit (steps 1 & 3)
- Easy to locate products
- Polish (step 2) was on sale
- Very, very glossy shine
- Polishes dried quickly
- I did 2 coats as recommended, but 1 coat would have worked well.
- Products had been sitting there a while (I noticed this in 7 stores) and colors had settled (possible quality issue in product?)
- 3 steps (could be a con for some, but it wasn't a big deal to me since I usually do a base, color, and top coat)
- Chipped very fast--within hours on the first test and then within a day with additional wearings. One instance the polish popped off in one piece.
Sally Hansen Miracle Gel
- 2 step system (color and then top coat)
- 47 shades
- "Up to 14 Days of Color & Shine & Easy Removal"
- $9.99 per item
- Love the range of colors
- Lasted much longer than the L'Oreal one
- Two steps
- Excellent info online for demonstrations (if needed)
- Products were much harder to find (sold out online and took me having to visit several stores to find each product)
- Hard to find ingredients info
- Not as glossy--looked like regular polish with top coat. Not the "gel" look I was hoping for.
- Definitely needed two coats
- Brush was large and hard to work with (usually I like this but not with this shade)
- Chipped on some nails after 3 days. I usually made it around 4 days but I wash my hands a lot being a nanny, so perhaps long wear time if greater care was taken?
This or That?
- L'Oreal had the glossiest nails (like Seche Vite or Out the Door but without the fumes)
- Sally Hansen lasted longer but didn't have that "gel" look.
- Both were easy to remove.
- You will definitely need to coat tips and underneath nails to help with chipping and color pulling away for both products.
- I personally think they are both expensive for the results, which last around the same time as regular polish, so I would skip them both.
Hey you! Let's kick of this weekend in the right way! I've got 2 special giveaways as a way to thank you for reading!