In the summer, we're more likely to be outdoors and exposing our hair to the sun and water. Luckily, I've got some sweet-sounding treats that will fix that summer hair damage. Apply these masks on your hair, rinse, and enjoy.
First up, I have a Banana Smoothie that smooths, soothes, moisturizes, and strengthens.
N e e d:
- 1 jar of banana baby food. 1 whole peeled banana can be used instead, but it can be a pain to get out of hair
- 1/2 c of plain yogurt
- 2 splashes of coconut milk
- blender--a MUST if you're using a banana
- plastic wrap or shower cap
- Pour the ingredients into a blender and blend until you have a completely smooth mixture.
- Wet your hair, preferably in the shower to combat messiness. The smoothie will stick better and penetrate wet hair.
- Apply the mixture to your hair, avoiding the roots if possible. I like using a highlighting brush from Sally's Beauty (less than a dollar) to paint it on.
- Take the shower cap or plastic wrap and wrap it around your hair/ends. This helps prevent a dripping mess & seals in the moisture.
- Leave it for about 20-30 minutes. Rinse hair thoroughly after removing the plastic wrap. Very thoroughly. You want no trace of the smoothie left in your hair, unless you live for the smell of bananas. I keep a wide-tooth comb to gently comb through my hair to make sure all the smoothie is gone.
Next, I have a Coconut Avocado Smoothie. This is another great mask for nourishing the hair.
N e e d:
1/2 avocado (If your hair is long/thick, try a whole one)
1 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp coconut water
- Mash avocado, add coconut oil and water, and mix well. A blender can be used if desired. I like to melt the coconut oil a little.
- Apply to hair and leave on hair at least 20 minutes. Again, I like using a brush to paint it on and then keeping my hair in a shower cap.
- Wash out and then use a regular shampoo/conditioner.
For some shine, try this Honey Yogurt Smoothie.
N e e d:
4 tsp honey
1 c yogurt
2 c water
1/4 c conditioner
- Mix and apply to hair for 15 minutes.
- Rinse and use shampoo if needed.
And finally, I have a Strawberries and Cream Smoothie that is great for oily scalps or those with hair buildup.
N e e d:
6 large strawberries
2 c whole milk
2 tbsp conditioner
1 c uncooked plain oatmeal, optional
- Using a blender, thoroughly blend the strawberries, conditioner, and milk. Yogurt can be subbed for milk. Add the oatmeal if scalp has a lot of product buildup.
- This is very messy, so this is best applied in the shower. Keep hair in plastic wrap or a shower cap and allow to soak for 20 minutes. If you're using the oatmeal, scrub scalp for a couple of minutes before allowing to set.
- Rinse away and shampoo if needed.