I get asked often how to get hair thicker or to have more volume. I thought I'd share a few ways and none of them involve heat or damage to your hair! And they can be done in seconds. Let's see how to take a regular side braid (side braids are easiest to do on yourself and to photograph, hehe) and fake bigger hair:
1. Bigger Braid
- One of the easiest ways to get some volume is to use a volumizing hair powder, like Not Your Mother's Girl Powder. NYM sent this to me and I love it! The bottle feels very light, but there's plenty of product inside. Basically, you tap the powder on your dry roots and then rub your scalp for instant volume. You can also pour a little into your palm, rub palms together and distribute through roots and rub to get volume. This isn't a dry shampoo or like baby powder--it's for volume. And it works.
- Another way I love to use Girl Powder is to change the look and texture of hair, giving it a tousled, bedhead look. I pour a little in my palms, and rub together (it will disappear but product will still be on your hands) and distribute through my hair. I do a bit of a scrunching motion, too. Instant fullness!
- Braid your hair and it will look bigger.
- To "fatten" the braid, pull out sections of the braids a little with fingers.
2. 2-in-1 Braid
- Separate hair into 3 sections, just like a regular braid.
- Take the middle section and braid it.
- Now braid all 3 sections together, resulting in a bigger braid. =2-in-1
3. 4-in-1 Braid
- Divide hair into 3 sections.
- Braid each section, so now you have 3 braided sections.
- Braid the braids together. =4-in-1
T I P S:
- Feel free to use the Girl Powder on all of these braids to make them look bigger.
- While I shared these braids as no-heat, I've found that by having my hair curled or in waves makes my braid bigger as well.
- If your hair is layered, like mine, insert bobby pins for those stray hairs, or let them run free.
top third=bigger braid
Commenters: Do you miss the popup window for commenting?