For the last installment of Wanderlust Week, I wanted to cover the ultimate money-saver: the staycation! This idea is super popular with the current state of the economy. And it's a great alternative to the more expensive means of travel. All it takes is a little creativity! Let's go!
- A staycation is just that--you take a vacation at home! Make a start and end date of your "staycation" and plan it out. No chores allowed! That grabbed your attention, eh?
- Camping out in your own back yard (or a state park if you live near one) complete with meals cooked outdoors and scary stories. Don't forget the S'mores. Camp inside too!
- Have a family slumber party! Rent a movie, grab some snacks, and put out the pillows and blankets.
- Rent a projector, hang up a sheet, and show a movie outside!
- Another alternative? Rediscovering your town! Do all of the touristy things you never thought you'd do. There are some hidden gems in even the smallest of towns!
- Go to the closest big city and do the touristy things there. Take silly pics while you're at it!
- Just remember to plan your trip, otherwise you'll end up just at home, watching tv, and doing nothing.
- Do a restaurant crawl. Have a drink at one restaurant, appetizers at another, main course somewhere else, and finish with dessert at the last place. Or do it in reverse!
- Get a hotel for the night in your town! Can't afford that? Do a house-swap with friends for a night! Or stay in your guest room in your own house!
- Get a cheap wading pool, fashion a chaise out of pallets (do at your own risk), and mix a drink for instant oasis.
- Unplug the phone! Turn off the tv! Cut off the computer! It is vacation, after all.
- Set up a little spa area--complete with a DIY pedi! Light the candles and relax.
- Or create your own beach retreat!
- Have a game night--video games, outdoor games, Bingo, board games. Include cheap prizes!
- Support your local team by attending a game--no matter how bad they are!
- Here's 42 Ways To Boost Your Staycation. Some cute ideas here!
- The best part is that it's YOUR trip and YOUR schedule. Go at your own pace! No jet lag here!
- Take pics! Just like it was a "real" vacation.
Have you ever taken a staycation? Would you? What activities would you do?
GIVEAWAY ends soon! And you don't need to have a blog to enter! Just a valid email!